Behavioral Health Technician*
Location: Kansas City, Kansas US
Requisition Number: R-20498
JOB DESCRIPTION -
The Behavioral Health Tech, under general supervision, provides basic patient care to all patients including those in isolation. The Behavioral Health Tech provides age specific assistance with activities of daily living and therapeutic measures that will result in a lower level of agitation and/or higher level of comfort for the patient. The Behavioral Health Tech assists in daily activities while teaching new skills, ensuring safety, assisting to manage behaviors, plan activities, reinforce treatment plans and document within the EMR.
- Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
- Collects data (i.e., vital signs, weights, I&O) for initial, shift and ongoing assessment of each patient as delegated by the RN per Department/Unit standards.
- Completes patient safety rounds and contraband checks.
- Demonstrates effective problem solving skills and recommends ideas for change/improvement within the framework of unit, department, and hospital standards and goals/outcomes.
- Facilitates or co-facilitates patient goals and exercise groups, and other groups as assigned.
- Recognizes and reports to the RN any patient safety concerns or changes in patient behaviors.
- Recognizes care activities/procedures which need to be shared among disciplines to maximize patient-centered, efficient care.
- Understands General Safety/Falls Prevention Program (A-B-C-D risks and interventions).
- Utilizes department/unit standards when providing care.
- Utilizes unit and department techniques and protocols/standards.
- Supervises patients always, ensures the meeting of patient’s basic needs.
- Provide needed supports to improve treatment outcomes.
- Models positive behavior and effective problem solving techniques.
- Assists with structured group activities.
- Completes required documentation, forms and reports per policy.
- Responsible for keeping the unit safe, clean and orderly.
- May assist in laundry of patient clothing as needed and directed.
- Provides crisis intervention and initiates emergency response plan, when necessary.
- Attends staff meeting as directed.
- Attends and completes all required in-service training and coursework on an annual basis per hospital requirements.
- Monitors patient phone calls and visitations as required. - Review patient case histories and become familiar with patient treatment plan goals.
- Become familiar with the Employee Manual, Operations Manual and organizational policies and procedures.
Be able to perform CPR and basic elements as required utilizing CPI skills.
*Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
*Note: These statements are intended to describe the essential functions of the job and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Skills and duties may vary dependent upon your department or unit. Other duties may be assigned as required.
- High School diploma or equivalent/GED
- One to three months related experience and/or training
- BLS Certification within 30 days of hire date
- 1 year of previous acute care psychiatric experience or 2 years of formal education in psychology, counseling, nursing student, or student in related field
- Ability to understand and speak English
City: Kansas City
Community / Marketing Title: Behavioral Health Technician*
EEO Employer Verbiage:
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university's programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by university policy.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Kansas City, Kansas US
Job Number: 59369