Experienced Respiratory Therapist*
Location: Kansas City, Kansas US
Requisition Number: R-19885
Position Summary / Career Interest:
The Respiratory Therapist, RRT I is responsible for performing patient care activities and other tasks that contribute to high-quality, safe, and effective patient care, such as executing protocols, administering respiratory care, and educating patients, families, students, and other care providers.
- Administers, monitors, and assesses the effectiveness of respiratory care in an efficient and effective manner for inpatients and outpatients of all developmental and maturational levels (neonatal to geriatric) under the supervision of a licensed Respiratory Therapist.
- Uses independent judgement in the application of respiratory care protocols and is self-motivated to take responsible and professional action within the scope of practice.
- Maintains a patient-centered focus and strives to support the mission, goals, and values of the hospital, department and division.
- Follows policies, procedures, and department standards. Interacts with physicians and other health system staff to provide quality, safe, and efficient care for the patient.
- Maintains positive working relations with customers. Demonstrates mature, sensitive, and effective communications with all age groups, especially under high levels of stress.
- Educates patients and family members of all developmental and maturational levels (neonatal to geriatric) regarding cardio-respiratory topics, medications, equipment, and procedures.
- Reacts appropriately under high levels of stress. Demonstrates flexibility in the face of uncertainty, and can take responsible and professional action without awaiting orders.
- Assists in the oversight of other staff members during advanced procedures.
- At the direction of a supervisor, serves as the acting team leader as needed.
- Assists in the orientation, training, and evaluating New Grads, students and new employees.
- Participates on the rapid response or code blue teams, as needed.
- Assist with the ambulation of patients.
- Moves ventilators and other items within the campus.
- Quickly respond to critical situations including taking stairs to reach emergencies and assist in the removal of patients from the building (in case of fire).
*Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
*Note: These statements are intended to describe the essential functions of the job and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and duties and may vary dependent upon your department or unit. Other duties may be assigned as required.
- Associate's Degree in respiratory care (or equivalent military training program)
- Certified in BLS within 30 days of hire
- Certified in ACLS and PALS/NRP within six months of hire
- Respiratory Therapist (RT) license from the Kansas State Board of Healing Arts within 90 days of employment.
- RRT credential from the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC) within 12 months of their employment date
- Basic computer knowledge
- Bachelor’s Degree in Respiratory Care or related field
- Master’s Degree in Respiratory Care or related field
- Additional respiratory therapy education
- Additional respiratory therapy work experience
- Experience in clinical instruction of students
- Six months of experience in critical care
City: Kansas City
Community / Marketing Title: Experienced Respiratory Therapist*
EEO Employer Verbiage:
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university's programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by university policy.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Kansas City, Kansas US
Job Number: 59410