RN - Orthopedic *
Location: Kansas City, Kansas US
Requisition Number: R-20176
Responsible for guiding the patient through the course of their treatment with the University of Kansas Health System- Great Bend campus once the course of treatment is determined. Upholding the mission vision and values of TUKHS, the nurse navigator will coordinate and collaborate with other entities such as the surgeon, utilization review coordinators, specialist, nurses and registration staff to provide education to the patient for a successful treatment/surgery experience throughout patient stay. The nurse navigator cares for the patient in accordance with physicians' orders, they provide for the well-being of patient during the entire pre-admit, admit and discharge process.
The orthopedic Nurse Navigator- works between the Ortho Clinic- CKOG and the hospital. The navigator will review pre-op orders from the surgeon. Ensure that H & P is within recommended time frame before surgery.
• Nurse Navigator will ensure patients with multiple comorbidities – will have pre surgery clearance from each specialist seen.
• Helping patients to overcome barriers such as financing or transport.
• Referring patient to social workers or counselors as needed.
• Collaborate and inform anesthesia of any at risk diagnosis and or abnormal lab results at least 24- 48 hours prior to surgery.
• Conduct patient education once a week for patients who have a planned total hip and or total knee surgery. Patients who do not attend class will have surgery rescheduled.
• Nurse Navigator will give a brief overview of surgery and what to expect. Discuss medication management and what to expect, education on managing Post op Pain: nonmedical relief
• Nurse Navigator will educate on how soon after surgery they will be expected to be up and ambulating. Give education on ERAS when it is implemented from the health System.
• Provide information on UKHS Great Bend Campus Hip and Knee Replacement
• ERAS Checklist - After surgery when implemented by the health System.
• The Total Joint Bundle Overview- from the health systems
The Orthopedic Nurse Navigator represents The University of Kansas Health System Great Bend Surgery Department to the surgical patient, their family and community. The Orthopedic Nurse Navigator must practice the mission and values of the hospital. The navigator guides and coordinates patients through the entire surgical continuum: preoperative, surgical and postoperative care. The Orthopedic Nurse Navigator will collaborate with the anesthesia and surgical staff to provide individualized care to the patient and perform all duties involved in the preparation, education and care of the surgical patient.
JOB REQUIREMENTS -
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing; prior experience in specialty field preferred; knowledge of general nursing theory and practice.
- BLS certification or must complete BLS certification with in the first two weeks of employment.
- Current Registered Nurse (RN) licensure in the State of Kansas or has work permit from the State Board of Nursing.
- Sound knowledge of the healthcare system and where to find reliable information.
Additional Required for Orthopedic Nurse Navigator:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Openness towards different cultures, beliefs, and traditions.
- Sensitivity, discretion, and respect
HIPAA: This position will have access to the following Protected Health Information in order to carry out the duties related to their position in Greater Kansas based on the following criteria:
Primary: required (routine) to do the job;
Secondary: required for the job, but mostly be exception; and
None: no approved access
Description of Information
· Patient Demographic Information (information used to identify a person): Name, Date of Birth, Address, Race, Marital Status, Religion
· Clinical Information (information that describes a patient's health status): Diagnosis, Reports/Medical Notes, Test Results, Problem List, Procedures, History and Physical
· Coding Information (clinical information that is in (alpha) numeric format): ICD-9 Codes, Rev Codes, CPT Codes
· Financial Information/Insurance (information related to insurance, billing and payment): Billing Information, Payer Name, Payer ID, Account Balances, Plan Elements Covered, Payment Information, Payment Rate
Initial and Ongoing training in dealing with infection control. Trainings could include but are not limited to, blood borne pathogens, bodily fluids and biohazardous materials as it applies to your daily work environment.
Minimum- $20.47 - Max- $34.60
City: Kansas City
Community / Marketing Title: RN - Orthopedic *
EEO Employer Verbiage:
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university's programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by university policy.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Kansas City, Kansas US
Job Number: 59331